If you want to learn about email segmentation, you should listen to Brennan Dunn.
He wrote a beginner’s guide to segmenting your email list and I can’t recommend it enough.
It’s bookmarked and I revisit it often.
Overview: Segmentation Questions
- What: The questions you ask your email subscribers within your CTA funnels.
- Where: You can edit/manage your segmentation questions using the Manage menu available at the top of the screen while you’re logged into the RightMessage app. You can also edit/manage segmentation questions within the flow of your CTA funnels as part of the flyout menus from clicking on a plus sign within the CTA funnel visual builder.
- Why: To give people what they want, when they want it. This is a better user experience, which typically delivers higher rates of conversion. Limit wasted words and wasted motion in your marketing.
Manage Your Segmentation Questions
Using The Manage Menu:
While logged into your RightMessage account, under the Manage menu, you will find Segmentation & questions.
When you click the + Add link at the top of the left column, you are presented with the following options for your convenience.
Within CTA Funnels:
You can access currently defined segmentation questions as well as create new segmentation questions while editing a CTA funnel.
Tabs 1 & 2: Segmentation Questions
Each Segmentation question consists of three tabs, we’ll cover the first two tabs in this 101 explanation.
Tab 1: General
- Choose the Segmentation Question you want to edit from the left hand navigation column
- Fill in the SEGMENT VISITORS BY THEIR entry area, which is the internal name for this Segmentation Question
- Fill in the QUESTION WORDING, which is the question that your website visitors will see
- Fill in your POSSIBLE ANSWERS to this question and if you want to RANDOMIZE ANSWERS then toggle that selector on.
- Click the Close button
Tab 2: Syncing Answers With Your Email Service Provider
This tab asks you to select the custom field you’ve created in your email service provider, within which the answers to this segmentation question will be stored. In the above example, the ConvertKit Custom Field is named WHO.
- Click into the Custom Field area
- Select the Custom Field you want these answers synced with, in this case it’s Who.
- Click the Save button
- Type in the data you want stored in the ConvertKit custom field for answer one
- Type in the data you want stored in the ConvertKit custom field for answer two
- Type in the data you want stored in the ConvertKit custom field for answer three
- Click the Save button